After studying Dutch law at the University of Amsterdam, Geertjan van Oosten has been practicing law since 1998. The first 4.5 years he worked at the leading law firm Trenité van Doorne. In 2002 he started his own law firm with others. In October 2007 he started Van Oosten advocaten. In June 2018, this led to the formation of Van Oosten Schulz De Korte Advocaten, which currently consists of ten lawyers specialised in litigation, regulatory, compliance and white collar crime issues. A large part of the firm’s practice involves advocacy and interaction with governmental bodies on regulatory issues faced by clients. His services are highly sought after and Geertjan enjoys strong relationships with various well-regarded media outlets. Geertjan specializes in public, criminal and regulatory law, focusing on all aspects of economic criminal and regulatory law. He assists companies, including multinationals (including chemical, raw materials, pharmaceutical and medical industry) and their directors. He is also one of the few lawyers in the Netherlands who represents lawyers, civil-law notaries, doctors, accountants and bailiffs in disciplinary proceedings.
He completed the specialist course in criminal law at the Pompe Institute of Utrecht University and the Special Business Criminal an d regulatory Law course at the VU. Since 2008 he has been the secretary (and acting chairman) of the board of the Dutch Association of Defence Counsel (NVSA). For ten years, he was the criminal law portfolio holder and chairman of the editorial staff of Advocatenblad, the official journal of the Netherlands Bar Association, and a member of various Ministerial Working Parties and consultations on behalf of the Netherlands Bar Association. He regularly acts as an expert in the media and regularly publishes in the professional law journals, some examples of which can be found on this site under the heading “publications”. Geertjan has taught criminal procedure to trainee-lawyers and is a director of the training institute of the Dutch Association of Defence Counsel, in which capacity he organises many training courses each year. In addition, he is a member of the European Criminal Bar Association (ECBA) and the European Fraud and Compliance Lawyers Association (EFCL).
- Administrative law
- General and financial criminal law
- Regulatory issues (including environmental and other issues entailing criminal liability)
- Product liability
- Disciplinary law
- Risk and reputation management
Examples of cases on which Van Oosten Schulz De Korte has acted recently include:
- Acting for a number of chemicals producers and energy companies in various administrative law proceedings arising out of pollution regulations
- Acting for a foreign airliner in litigation concerning preferential treatment by the Dutch State of the national airliner KLM
- Acting for a US manufacturer of consumer products on product safety and consumer protection issues and liaising with the relevant regulator
- Representing a major German laboratory in litigation against the Dutch State to gain access to the Dutch market for Covid-19 testing and related lobbying of the relevant governmental departments
- Representing the Royal Dutch Hunting Association and Royal Dutch Shooting Association in litigation against the Dutch State following the introduction of an online psychological test to assess fitness to apply for a gun license, including coordination of press strategy and raising of parliamentary questions
- Acting against the Dutch State for more than 900 victims of a USD 50 million fraud in litigation before the Court of Appeal seeking to set aside a EUR 775 million AML settlement with ING Bank
+31(0)6 53 56 24 78/ Tel. +31(0)20 60 60 680