Jurjen de Korte joined Van Oosten Schulz De Korte Advocaten in 2017. Previously, Jurjen worked at the Amsterdam office of Stibbe, the Abu Dhabi office of Herbert Smith and at Eversheds Sutherland in Amsterdam. Jurjen graduated in Dutch law at the Utrecht University (1998) and completed a master of laws degree at New York University (1999). He is admitted to the Dutch bar (1999), New York State bar (2001) and has rights of audience at the DIFC Courts (2010). Jurjen has extensive experience in cross-border litigation and arbitration with particular focus on international commercial arbitration. Jurjen has handled disputes in a wide range of sectors, including construction, automotive, oil and gas, M&A and banking and finance.
He frequently publishes and lectures in the field of international arbitration and private international law.
- a Canadian department store chain in disputes with the Dutch lessors over competition law violations and damage claims in excess of EUR 250 million
- a number of Gazprom group entities in three urgent relief proceedings against the Ukrainian gas company Naftogaz and relating to pre-judgment attachments to enforce a Swedish SCC arbitral award with an interest in excess of USD 2.6 billion
- a Caribbean trading company against a Dutch shipbuilding company in a multimillion euro arbitration abroad
- a Russian bank on the enforcement of a EUR 65 million LCIA arbitral award against the former owner of a Croatian supermarket chain
- the majority shareholder of one of the world’s largest trading houses in an ICC arbitration and binding advice proceeding concerning the valuation in excess of EUR 600 million of shares after exercising a put option
- a Scandinavian maritime transport company against a Belgian construction firm in an arbitration concerning the subsidence of a site for the storage and cleaning of chemical containers in Moerdijk
- the US steel industry supplier Asko against the Slovenian production company Nozi Ravne in a Rotterdam based NAI arbitration and subsequent proceedings on setting aside and suspension of enforcement of the arbitral award
- Solvers Group (previously Onexim) in a number of proceedings before the Amsterdam District Court and Court of Appeal against the Russian bank PSB concerning control over Svyaznoy
- Nicolai Maximov in various proceedings before the Amsterdam District Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court seeking enforcement under the New York Convention of a RUB 9 billion ICAC arbitral award, set aside in Russia, against the international steel company NLMK
- International Comparative Legal Guides – Enforcement of Foreign Judgments 2020
- Court of Appeal in The Hague overturns District Court decision and revives Yukos awards, Practical Law UK, 26 February 2020. Reproduced from Practical Law Arbitration with the permission of the publishers. For further information visit www.practicallaw.com.
- Dutch court sets aside ICC award holding that underlying agreement was influenced by corruption (Court of Appeal in The Hague), Practical Law UK, 13 November 2019. Reproduced from Practical Law Arbitration with the permission of the publishers. For further information visit www.practicallaw.com
- Amsterdam Appeal Court: appeal courts competent to rule on requests for enforcement of foreign arbitral awards, Practical Law Arbitration, 12 December 2018
- Court assumes jurisdiction despite arbitration clause in Petrobas’ articles of association, Practical Law Arbitration, 26 September 2018
- Dutch court lifts pre-judgment attachments after ICC Emergency Arbitrator makes USD 187.5 million escrow order, Practical Law Arbitration, 11 April 2018
- Yukos opinion by former judge inappropriate, Practical Law Arbitration, 11 July 2017
- Case note on Supreme Court decision of 31 March 2017 in Nelux/Nakash concerning recognition (only) of NYC arbitral award – Dutch Arbitration Law Review (TvA) 2017/79
- ‘Yukos shareholders prevented from attaching tall ships in Antwerp’, Practical Law Arbitration, 16 August 2016
- Publication on revenue maximisation of pledged shares at public auction, TOP 2016/06
- Publication on discrimination of arbitrators and the decision of the UK Supreme Court in Jivraj/Hashwani – Dutch Arbitration Law Review (TvA) 2013/4
- Case note on the Amsterdam Court of Appeal decision in NRSL/Kompas concerning the procedure for enforcement of foreign arbitral awards in the Netherlands – Dutch Arbitration Law Review (TvA) 2013/52
- Publication on enforcement of foreign arbitral awards set aside abroad and on the draft revision of the Dutch Arbitration Act – Dutch Arbitration Law Review (TvA) 2012/58
- Publication on discrimination of arbitrators and the decision of the UK Court of Appeal in Jivraj/Hashwani – Dutch Arbitration Law Review (TvA) 2011/3
- Publication on arbitration and the Dubai International Financial Centre – Dutch Arbitration Law Review (TvA) 2010/3
- Case note on the Amsterdam District Court decision in Yukos Capital / Rosneft concerning enforcement of foreign arbitral awards under the New York Convention – Dutch Procedural Law Review (JBPr) 2008/3
- Publication on conflict of laws principles in insurance law – Dutch Insurance Law Review (AV&S) 2007/3
- Publication on the non-discrimination provision of Article III of the New York Convention – Dutch Arbitration Law Review (TvA) 2007/1
Jurjen is a member of the Dutch Arbitration Association, the Corporate Litigation Association, the Dutch Civil Procedure Association and the American Bar Association.
Awards and rankings
Jurjen is commended by Chambers Global (2020, 2017-2014), Chambers Europe (2020, 2017-2014), Legal500 (2020-2019, 2017-2015) and Financial Times Most Innovative Law Firms in Private Wealth (2013).
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Litigation
+31(0)6 43 92 21 81/ Tel. +31(0)20 60 60 680