Our civil law practice focuses on resolving complex national and international trade disputes before a civil judge. Cases frequently involve contracts in sectors such as construction, oil and gas extraction, energy, distribution, transport, telecom, pharmaceuticals, financing and insurance. Many of the civil proceedings we handle concern compensation claims due to breach of contract or unlawful trading; other proceedings relate to the conclusion, performance, termination or nullification of agreements. The main proceedings are frequently preceded by preliminary relief proceedings or prejudgment attachment.
Our practice is recommended by Chambers & Partners Global (Band 4 in 2020, 2017-2014), Chambers & Partners Europe (Band 4 in 2020, 2017-2014), Legal500 (Band 3 in 2019, 2017-2015) and the Arbitration & ADR Leaders League (Excellent in 2019-2020).
CIVIL PROCEEDINGS EXPERIENCE
Parties that we have represented include:
- A Canadian department store chain in disputes with the Dutch lessors over competition law violations and damage claims in excess of EUR 250 million
- a large number of Gazprom group entities in two urgent relief proceedings against the Ukraine gas company Naftogaz and relating to pre-judgment attachments to enforce a Swedish SCC arbitral award with an interest in excess of USD 2.6 billion
- an American bankruptcy trustee for the recovery of more than USD 51 million concerning an alleged international fraud with online currency trading
- InterLeaseInvest in preliminary relief proceedings at the District Court and the Court of Appeal in Amsterdam for the exercising of right of pledge on more than 2,500 freight wagons in Ukraine and to recover an EBRD loan of more than USD 50 million
- an international organisation of airline companies in proceedings at the District Court of Amsterdam against more than 180 European travel agents, a Hungarian bankruptcy trustee and a Russian state bank; this related to the allocation of approx. EUR 14 million following the bankruptcy of the Hungarian airline company Malèv
- the Russian Alfa-Bank in preliminary relief proceedings at the District Court of Amsterdam against a civil-law notary and Luxembourg pledgors; this related to the recovery of a debt under a credit facility of more than USD 53 million for the construction of a shopping centre in Moscow.
- Solvers Group in several proceedings at the District Court and the Court of Appeal in Amsterdam against the Russian bank PSB concerning the acquisition of control of Svyaznoy